Wednesday, November 9, 2016

"....Missouri Is No Longer The Only 'Show Me' State..."

Beginning with shows I broadcast in the summer of 2015, I made no secret of my concerns about the Presidential candidacy of Donald Trump.

I also made no secret of my intention to not personally support that candidacy.

Six or seven weeks ago, on my live show, I predicted that, regardless of my personal perspective on the man,  Donald Trump would, in fact, be elected President.

And last night that is exactly what happened.

I didn't see him deliver his acceptance speech as it was given late last night and I have, at this very early morning writing, only read the text.

One particular section of it captured my attention.


It is a movement comprised of Americans from all races, religions, backgrounds, and beliefs, who want and expect our government to serve the people -- and serve the people it will.
Working together, we will begin the urgent task of rebuilding our nation and renewing the American dream. 
Every single American will have the opportunity to realize his or her fullest potential.

Upon logging on to Facebook first thing this morning, the very first posts I saw were from Trump supporters whose comments and/or memes continue to symbolize the very worst of what people can be when they are petty and cheap, ignorant, bigoted and/or simply mean out of nothing more than malice.
Having reached an age where things can still shock, even appall, me but can seldom surprise me, I'm writing those posts off to the inevitability, in this life, of sad, angry, pitiful people who can only deal with that sadness by lashing out cheaply and ignorantly.

That said, I'm offering the following by way of "wrapping up", as it were, for my listening/reading audience my perspective on the election of 2016.

In his acknowledgement of being elected President of the United States, Donald Trump chose to include the words I excerpted a moment ago.


It is a movement comprised of Americans from all races, religions, backgrounds, and beliefs, who want and expect our government to serve the people -- and serve the people it will.
Working together, we will begin the urgent task of rebuilding our nation and renewing the American dream. 
Every single American will have the opportunity to realize his or her fullest potential.

Given my continued concerns about the personality and psychology of the man, it would be hypocritical of me to simply plaster on a smile, shake some hands and walk away in a spirit of celebration. 

And I won't insult the intelligence of either peers, nor opponents, by being that hypocrite.
Credit where due, though, I applaud Mr. Trump's inclusion of those words.
And, in with all the traditional American spirit of sportsmanship I can muster today, I look forward to him honoring those words.

Meanwhile, to all those who have supported, and now celebrate, this man, I offer this.

I have listened to two very distinct groups of you, via news reports, video postings, social media and, of course, my own show for over a year now.
A group of people who passionately expressed their hope and desire that they could be given the opportunity to be a part of something that would genuinely make this country a better place for every single American.
And another group of people who clearly supported this candidate out of no other motivation than hatred, ignorance, bigotry and a sense that somehow they were justified in using the flames of change as a means of burning down things, and people, they simply don't like.
To that group, I reject you, your lack of values and your pitiful unarguably un-American way of living your life. I will, when and as opportunity arises, speak out against that hatred, bigotry and ignorance. I strongly recommend that you take a few moments to read and then re-read the portion of Mr. Trump's speech I just featured. And I am ready and expecting civilized, well intended supporters of Mr. Trump, as well as the man himself, to repudiate you and everything you represent.

To the group who have expressed the desire to be a part of something that would genuinely make this country a better place, you, like Mr. Trump, were given something last night other than just a political victory.

You've been given a chance to prove it.
For those of us who were disappointed with the results of last night's election, if there is a hope to be found in all of this, here's what that hope is.
That prove it...is exactly what you, and Mr. Trump, will do.
Starting now.


 










No comments:

Post a Comment